A History of Brotherhood
The history of Greek letter social fraternities at Furman has not been smooth sailing. The earliest fraternities seem to appear in the 19th century, however some time during these early years the Greek system was banned by the school. In 1927 these social groups were once again reinstated and many opened houses around the Old Campus. During WWII fraternities once again began to fade out, but with the return of male students ( in great numbers thanks to the GI bill) they grew in leaps and bounds towards the end of the 1940s. The fraternities were pushing for dances and other socials now that Greenville Women's College and Furman were one. But the Baptist Convention wanted none of it and forced President Plyler to close all Greek letter social organizations during the winter of 1962-1963. Although they were officially banned most frats continued as social clubs under other names, until the break with the Baptists in 1993, where upon fraternities were officially recognized by the school.